Thursday, May 14, 2009

Stitched with Tears


Well, I can mark one item off my list. I finished Momma's afghan just a couple of hours ago. It was actually supposed to have some fringe on the ends, but it was really stretching the shape. I didn't like it, so I left it off. I'm always glad to finish a project, but I also miss having a crochet project to work on!

I spent a good deal of time working on this afghan the day before Mother's Day. I had originally hoped to have it finished to give Momma then. I shed a lot of tears on it that Saturday. I was listening to a music program on PBS when the performers began a song called "Angels Calling at my Door." This is one of the songs that a good friend of ours sang in Mammaw's hospital room a couple of days before she passed away. One of the verses says "Let me go while I'm your hero." That verse tears me apart for some reason. Mammaw really was our hero in so many ways. The combination of the song and knowing it would be our first Mother's Day without her kept the tears flowing. How fitting, though, that the afghan that was to be hers should be stitched together with tears and passed on to her daughter.

In honor of Mother's Day (although late) I'm posting these pictures of me with Mammaw and with Momma from a long time ago.


0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com